Job Description: Cost Estimator
Qualified candidate will be responsible for developing and engineering competitive structural steel bids and budgets for existing, and new customers in the automotive, energy, military, governmental, and commercial markets.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Major areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Establish and maintain positive relationships and ethical practices with owners, consultants, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Assist operations with awarded contracts and projects as required may include estimating/pricing change orders and facilitating resolution of any contractual issues
- Work with Proposal Coordinator to develop complete professional proposals including all required information (schedules, project narratives, organizational charts, etc.)
- Develop complete conceptual proposals to support business development and client maintenance
- Assist in maintaining existing estimating productivity database
- Ability to prepare proposals with minimum supervision
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Review project specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
Prepare detailed estimates and backup documentation for review
- Solicit project specific proposals from material suppliers and evaluate for completeness and competitiveness
Develop options and recommend best value solutions based on cost, engineering, quality, or availability of materials.
- Be familiar with the latest industry trends and technical advancements and successfully
- apply them in daily activities.
- Submit orders and paperwork, as required.
- Submit activity reports, as required
- Provide custom quotes as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Candidates must have a strong understanding of conceptual estimating, estimating techniques and cost control
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidates should be able to clearly articulate bid inclusions, exclusions, and proposal clarifications with owners and subcontractors
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize responsibilities
- Candidate must be able to develop a thorough understanding of The HPS product line and services.
- The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who takes initiative and is able to maintain professionalism and flexibility in a hectic environment.
- Computer skills are a must.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Good work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to travel by car and airplane and able to walk long distances (200 yards) at a time
- Able to provide strong and effective client support
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- Four year degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or Construction Management is preferred. PE is a plus
- Candidates must have 5+ years estimating experience.
- Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Project or other scheduling related systems
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle, type on a computer, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk at least 200 yards at a time, reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include driving, reading on a computer monitor, reading contracts and other printed documents, such as plats and sales material.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.